Are you looking for the best USB-C card reader for your Mac? Well, you can stop looking now because we have done it for you. We looked at many different brands and models and tested them to see how they work on iOS devices and Macs. Below is a list of our favourites with their pros and cons so you can pick the one that is best for you.
Best USB-C Card Readers For Mac
- Dual slot SD card reader USB C adapter provides convenient access to SD, SDHC, SDXC, and MicroSD cards from a host computer or smartphone with a USB Type-C port or Thunderbolt 3 port; USB C memory card reader can access data from both cards simultaneously for downloading files from a video camera to your computer; USB-C card reader offers fast data up to the USB 3.1 data transfer rate of 5 Gbps; USBC SD card reader is an ideal accessory for an OTG enabled smartphone without a Micro SD card slot.
- Flexible USB-C SD card reader with a 6 inch cable tail does not block adjacent portsand provides easy access to insert and remove your SD cards; USBC card reader supports hot swap support on the SD adapter eliminates the need to unplug and re-plug when changing cards; portable bus powered Thunderbolt 3 card reader is compatible with smartphones with USB Type-C such as the Samsung Galaxy S8, Note 8, OnePlus 3, Nexus 5X/6P, Lumia 950/950XL, LG G5, V20, and HTC 10/U11. Also checkout Best USB-C Hub Docking Station For MacBook Pro & Air
- Dell companion USB Type C card reader weighs less than 2 Ounces; USB C Micro SD card reader connects to popular Dell models with Thunderbolt 3 portsincluding the Dell XPS 12 9250, 13 9350/9360/9365, 15 9550/9560, Latitude 5480/5580/7275/7280/7370/7480/7520/7720/E5570, Precision 3520/15 3510/5510/M7510, 17 M7710, Alienware 13/15/17
- USB-C & Thunderbolt 3 port compatible USB C SD card adapter for the 2016/2017 MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, iMac Pro, Aspire Switch 12 S/R13, V15/V17 Nitro, TravelMate P648, Predator 15/17/17X, Chromebook R 13, ROG GL/G5/G7/GX/Strix, ZenBook Pro UX501VW, ZenBook 3 Deluxe/Pro, Transformer 3 Pro, Schenker XMG, Chromebook Flip C302, Gigabyte Aorus X5 15, BRIX/BRIX S, Razer Blade/Stealth/Pro, Samsung NP900X5N, Notebook Odyssey, Notebook 9 15 Inch, FUJITSU Workstation CELSIUS H760
- USB C to SD card adapter is also compatible with HP Elite X2 1012 G1/G2, Z1 Workstation G3, Spectre 13.3/x360, EliteBook 1040 G4/X360 G2/X 360 1020 G2/Folio G1, ZBook 17 /15 /Studio, Envy 27 All-in-One, Microsoft Surface Book 2, Legion Y720, IdeaPad Y900, Miix 720, ThinkPad P 50/70, T 470/470S/570, X270, X1 Carbon, X1 Yoga, Yoga 370/900/910, MSI Phantom Pro, Vortex G65, LG Gram 15Z970, Intel NUC6i7KYK, Toshiba Protege X20W, Sony VAIO S11, Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+/S8/S8+/Note 8
- 3 in 1 USB-C card reader and writer
- Usb 3. 1 for maximum speed performance. Backwards compatible with USB 2. 0
- Supports SDXC (up to 2TB), SDHC, SD, CF, high-speed CF (UDMA), Micro SDXC, Micro SDHC, micro SD cards.
- SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards are supported in UHS-I mode up to 104 MB/spec. Built-in billboard feature that meets USB 3. 1 standards
- Plug and play, hot-swappable, USB bus powered.
- V2 MODEL – your favorite Satechi Aluminum Multi-Port Adapter just got even better with an upgraded Micro SD card slot and refined aluminum design
- EXPANSION PORTS – includes 4K HDMI (60Hz), Ethernet, USB-C Pass-Through Charging, SD/Micro Card Reader and 3 USB 3.0 ports.
- SLIM & COMPACT – portable design easily fits in your laptop bag, backpack or carry-on to take your adapter with you anywhere you go!
- PLUG & PLAY – easy to use and does not require any software, drivers, or complicated installation process
- DESIGNED FOR TYPE-C DEVICES – 2020/2019/2018/2017/2016 MacBook Pro, 2020/2018 MacBook Air, 2020/2018 iPad Pro, 2019/2017 iMac, iMac Pro, 2015/2016/2017 MacBook, Microsoft Surface Laptop 3/Surface Pro 7/Go, Google PixelBook Go, ChromeBook, Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro S, HP Spectre Convertible, Razer Blade, Huawei Matebook and more USB-C devices. Also checkout Best Headset For MacBook Pro & Air
- Designed, sold & supported by Twelve South, a family-owned small business in Charleston, South Carolina.
- STAY OR GO: StayGo includes a 1 meter cable to use at your workstation and a detachable travel cable that stores inside the StayGo when not in use. The matte black aluminum shell dissipates heat for better temperature control vs a plastic shell hub.
- DECLUTTER: The included 1 meter cable gives you the length to store the hub out of sight. Keep your workspace clear by avoiding cords or dongles handing off the side of your laptop. PLUG & PLAY: Does not require any software, drivers, or installation
- MULTIPORT CONNECTION: 4K HDMI Port, (2) USB A 3.0 Ports, (1) Dual functionality USB A port w/ BC 1.2 for up to 7.5 Watts for faster charging, (1) Gigabit Ethernet Port, (1) SD Port / (1) Micro SD Port [cards read simultaneously], (1) USB C 3.1 Port 85W PD
- StayGo replaces nearly all the connections missing from the new USB-C Only iMac! That includes Ethernet – you to consider the entry cost iMac – vs the higher priced iMac with the Ethernet power adapter. Add USB-A, SD card (for transferring photos) and Ethernet for a fast wired connection to iPad Pro. Also checkout Best Portable Scanner for MacBook Pro & Air
- DESIGNED FOR TYPE-C DEVICES: iMac M1, iPad Pro M1, MacBook Pro/Air with USB C, iPad Pro with USB C, Microsoft Surface Go, Surface Pro, Surface Book, Huawei Matebook, Lenovo IdeaPad, ThinkPad, Razer Blade Stealth, Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro S, and more
- Super-Speed UHS-I Card Reader: LENTION C8s multi-ports card reader brings high-performance syncing and high capacity into a perfect balance, enabling up to UHS-I (104MB/s) and CF Type-I card (with CF 6.0 up to 167MB/S) of data transfer. Transferring files in seconds maximizes the performance of your cards while saving your time on heavy-duty work. Support up to 512G memory cards
- Triple Cards Access: This card reader allows reading and writing on 3 cards simultaneously, offering easy access to cards to transfer files between each other. Support most card types in the market including: SD/SDHC/SDXC/MMC/RS-MMC/Micro SD/Micro SDHC/Micro SDXC/CF Type I (Note: Not compatible with CF Express and CF Type-II card)
- Plug and Play: Hot swapping design avoids data lost during constant unplugging and re-plugging. With premium aluminum alloy casing for better heat dissipation and LED activity indicator, this high-quality and ultimately durable adapter is safe and effortless to use
- USB On-the-Go Ready: Work with tablets and phones with USB OTG function to act as a host device to back up your files when a laptop is not available. High-speed data transmission rate and streamlined Mac-style design makes it a great companion at work
- Wide Compatibility: For Apple 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 MacBook Pro 13/15/16, M1, MacBook 12, 2018-2020 MacBook Air & iPad Pro, Surface Go/Book 2/Pro 7, Chromebook, Samsung Galaxy S20/S10/S9/S8/Plus/Note 10/9/8, more Type C laptops, phones, tablets supporting OTG function
- USB-C Hub (5-in-1): Extend one 4K UHD HDMI port, two supper speed USB 3. 0 ports, one SD menmory card slot and one TF momory card slot from one USB-C/thunderbolt 3/ type c port
- 4K video USB-C to HDMI Adapter: mirror or extend your screen with USB C hub HDMI port and directly stream 4K UHD @ 30Hz or full HD 1080P video to HDTV, monitor or projector
- Super Speed USB 3. 0 Ports(At Full-Speed): Allow you to connect keyboard, mouse, hard drive, etc to MacBook Pro, Up to 5Gbps data transmission speed, down compatible with USB A 2. 0 and below. Because HDD/SDD needs more power, so this adapter only allow connect 1 HDD/SSD and this adapter won’t support Apple USB Super Drive.
- Convinient USB-C To Card reader for USB-C/Type-C/Thunderbolt 3 devices to access files from SD/TF card reader, perfect for Photographer or designer, etc
- Aluminiun Case Design(Silver), Perfect for New laptops with USB-C Port, such as 2017 Macbook Pro, 2015/2016 Retain 12 inch Macbook, Dell XPS 13, HP Spetre X2, etc.
- PATENT PENDING – first of its kind to function as both a Mac mini stand and USB-C hub – all using a single Type-C connection
- 6-IN-1 EXPANSION PORTS – features an USB-C data port, three USB 3.0 ports, micro/SD card readers, and a 3.5mm headphone jack port for convenient access to your essential peripherals
- BUILT-IN AIR VENTS – equipped with built-in air vents to help regulate temperature and encourage air flow when connecting multiple devices to your Mac Mini 2018 & later
- SLEEK, ELEGANT DESIGN – designed to feel like a natural extension of your Mac Mini with an elegant, brushed finish and space gray aluminum alloy. Please note: there may be slight differences in color due to Mac Mini variations and manufacturing processes
- COMPATIBILITY – supports Mac Mini with Type-C ports (2018 & later). Does not support 2017 and older Mac Mini models. Mac Mini not included. USB-A ports will not support Apple SuperDrive or charge iPads, we recommend connecting one bus-powered device at a time. Does not include interior space for hard drive or SSD
- USB C Card Reader: easily transfer data from a memory card to your USB Type-C ( or Thunderbolt 3 Port) computer or tablet, such as MacBook Pro 2019/2018/2017/2016, MacBook 2017/2016/2015, iPad Pro 2018, Surface Book 2, Samsung Galaxy S10/S9/S8/Note 8/Note 9, Pixelbook, Dell XPS 15 / XPS 13, Galaxy Book; Thunderbolt 3 is the same port type as USB-C. BUT Thunderbolt 1& 2 is not the same port type as
- Read 3 Cards Simultaneously: the compact flash card reader transfers data between SD card to CF card and Micro SD card to CF card
- 3-Port Card Reader Slot: Support SDHC, SDXC, Micro SD, Micro SDHC (UHS-I), Micro SDXC (UHS-I) and CF Type I/MD/MMC; Ideal for transferring high-resolution images and video recordings. MicroSD, SD, SDHC/SDXC, CF cards up to 2 TB
- LED on the flash memory card reader verifies USB bus power and active data file transfer. Plug & Play Installation. No external drivers to download
- What We Offer: 1 x USB C Card Reader, Cable Length – 30CM ( 1 feet, 12 inches) , 1 x User’s manual
- Ultra High Speed: The SD & Micro SD dual SD 3.0 card reader support read and write at the same time, with data transfer speed up to UHS-I (104MB/s) – much faster than most card readers in the market. Three USB 3.0 ports with speed up to 5 Gbps
- Crystal Clear 4K HDMI: Mirror or extend your screen with the HDMI port to HDTV, monitor or projector for video and audio transfer. Support 3840×2160 [email protected], 2560×1600 and lower resolutions at 60Hz
- Plug & Play: Used with no external drivers or power required; supposed to be used with portable devices such as wire keyboard, USB flash drive, 2.5mm external disk etc. (Note: Not for Apple Superdrive)
- Widely Compatible: For MacBook Pro 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 M1, MacBook Air 2018 2019 2020 2021, MacBook 12, New iMac/Pro, Surface Pro 7/Book 2/Go, Chromebook, Pixelbook, more full-functional Type C devices
- Stable Driver 3.0 Certified: LENTION published the advanced Stable Driver 3.0 standard to help customers buy with confidence. The standard included 3 main features: Non-Interference between connected peripherals, Sufficient power supply, and the Devices working under normal temperature without overheating
Things to consider before buying USB-C Card Readers for Mac
USB-C card readers are the ones that allow you to plug your memory card directly into computer. They provide USB-C connectivity and does not require any additional cable or power source. This is why, they have become increasingly popular among photographers, videographers, musicians or anyone who uses DSLR cameras on a regular basis. If you are one such person and wish to buy one for yourself, here are few things that you need to consider-
USB-C card readers vary in price depending on their features and capacities. They can be as cheap as $10 but the good ones generally start at $20-$25. There is a big gap between prices of a good USB-C card reader and a mediocre one. In some cases, you can spend as much as $40-$50 on a single card reader. So you need to decide your budget before buying one.
2. Type of USB-C cable
You should always look for manufacturers who offer various kinds of cables with the memory card readers. This will help you to take full advantage of the latest technologies and save yourself from buying another cable later. For example, SanDisk Extreme Pro card readers come with USB-C to C cable and USB-C to A cable. So if you own a Macbook or Chromebook Pixel, you can use the former one and in case of Windows machines, the latter will do.
3. Digital memory card storage capacity
Most of the USB-C card readers available today support microSD cards upto 128 GB. Some of them can also accommodate SDHC and SDXC formats which are useful for the ones using DSLR cameras. But some cheaper models may not support these standards. Similarly, you need to check if your new USB-C card reader comes with additional storage capacity or not. For example, SanDisk Extreme Pro USB-C memory card reader has 128 GB of internal flash memory which will let you transfer the data to computer in case your card becomes full.
Since USB-C card readers are fast and compact, they may support different kinds of protocols and connections. This is precisely the reason you will find a lot of different performance ratings and charts on websites like Amazon or Best Buy. You should compare different USB-C card readers based on their transfer speed, data read/write speeds and error correction capabilities. Always go for those card readers which support faster protocols like UHS-II or UHS-III for DSLR cameras.
5. Resource utilization
When you are a photographer, it is a good idea to go for USB-C card readers which have file management features built-in. This will let you access the files on your memory cards directly from computer through any external storage device. In other words, instead of transferring the data from SD card to computer, you can copy it offline from the internal storage of card reader. Regarding file management, SanDisk Extreme Pro USB-C card reader is a real steal as it comes with free downloadable SanDisk ImageMate Elite software which offers a range of editing tools for photographers.
6. Brand name
Finally, always consider buying those products which come from trusted brand names. For example, SanDisk USB-C card readers are generally considered reliable and highly dependable among photographers due to their diverse features and performance ratings. This is precisely the reason you will notice them dominating top positions on websites like Amazon or Best Buy. On the other hand, some brands which have recently entered this market lack an established reputation and have to work a lot on their dependability.
So those were the 10 best USB-C card readers for Mac. I hope you found it useful. Hopefully, you will find our reviews useful and informative enough to decide which one is best for your Mac. What are your thoughts on this roundup of the top 10 best USB-C card readers for Mac? Do share them via the comments section below. Also, feel free to ask any questions regarding USB-C card readers for Mac. We will be happy to help!