Is your MacBook Pro running slow? Are you looking for solutions to fix this issue? If yes, then you are at the right place. In this article I will be listing all the solutions that can help you in boosting the speed of your MacBook Pro. MacBook Pro or any laptop starts to run slow after a period of time and it is absolutely normal. The best part is that you can easily fix it by taking care of small things.
Now before directly jumping onto the solutions to fix this issue let’s quickly have a look at the reasons that cause the MacBook Pro to run slow.
What are the Reasons for MacBook Pro Slow?
The following could be the reasons behind your MacBook Pro is running slow-
- Running low on disc space could be one of the reasons because of which your MacBook is running slow. If your MacBook doesn’t have enough free space then it might begin to run slow.
- Heavy applications running in the background can also make your MacBook Pro running slow. Therefore, make sure that a lot of applications are not running in the background.
- Software updates could be another reason behind your MacBook Pro running slow. Therefore, try to keep your software up to date to avoid the slow running of your MacBook Pro.
- Hardware issues could be another reason behind your MacBook Pro running slow. So, try to check if there is any problem with the hardware of your MacBook Pro.
- Too many applications on the desktop can also slow down the speed of your MacBook Pro. Hence, try not to keep alot of applications on the desktop.
- Malware could be another possible reason due to which your MacBook Pro is running slow.
How to Fix MacBook Pro running slow issue?
Here are some fixes that might help you in resolving the issue of MacBook Pro running slow-
1. Misbehaving applications
Some applications put a significant load on the CPU and that can cause your MacBook Pro to run slow. Follow the steps below to check which application is misbehaving-
- Go to the Finder and click Applications.
- Then click Utilities and start Activity Monitor.
- After that click the CPU tab to see which apps are using the high percentage of the CPU’s available resources.
- If you see something taking up the CPU and you don’t need to use it then close that program.
2. Running low on disc space
Not having enough storage space can also make your MacBook Pro slow. Thus, follow the steps below to check storage space-
- Open the Apple menu and select About This Mac.
- Then select the Storage tab to see how much storage is available.
- Now if the storage is full then try to free up the space by deleting unwanted things.
3. Reset PRAM
Another solution is the resetting of the PRAM, you can try to reset the PRAM because it might help you in speeding up your MacBook Pro. Follow the steps below to reset PRAM-
- Hold down Command+Option or Alt+P+R and turn on the Mac.
- Keep holding the keys until you hear the Mac restart again.
- Listen for the second reboot and then release the keys.
4. Reset SMC
Try resetting the SMC because it might help you in resolving the issue of your MacBook Pro running slow. Follow the steps below to reset SMC-
- Shut down the MacBook and then unplug it.
- After that reconnect the power cable and press Shift+Control+Option or Alt keys+ Power button at the same time.
- Now release the keys and the power button at the same time.
- Now restart your MacBook.
Also Read: How To Fix MacBook Pro Touch ID Not Working?
5. Remove cache files
MacBook creates a lot of trash for all of its applications so that it can be reused to improve performance. But the chances are your caches may have increased quite a lot over time since the time you bought your MacBook Pro. Therefore, deleting cache files may free up some space on your hard drive and that might help you in increasing the speed of your MacBook Pro. Follow the steps below to remove cache files-
- Click on the Go to tab in the Finder menu.
- Then click on go to Folder and type this command ~/Library/caches/.
- After that click Go and now you will be able to see all your cache files.
- Go ahead and delete all the cache files.
6. Stop overheating
Another solution to fix MacBook Pro running slow issue is that you must try to avoid overheating your MacBook Pro. You can try downloading a free third-party application called Max fan control. This app will help you to check the speed and temperature at which your fans are currently running.
If you feel that your MacBook is heating up then just click on the active preset drop-down menu in this application and select full blast. You can leave it to the automatic settings and you can put it on full blast only when you are running heavy applications. Don’t forget to change it back to automatic when you are not using heavy applications.
7. Disable sync services
Disabling the sync services can help you in boosting the speed of your MacBook Pro. Data sync services running in the background can slow down the machine especially if there is a lot of data in those sync-enabled directories. Follow the steps below to disable sync services-
- Open System Preferences and click Apple id on the top right.
- If asked then enter your Apple ID credentials.
- Select sync services from the left and disable them.
8. System Update
Updating the system can help in boosting the speed of your MacBook Pro. Follow the steps below to System Update-
- Go to the Apple icon and click About this mac.
- Then go to the overview tab and click on system updates.
- If there is an update then click on update.
Malware can slow down the speed of your MacBook Pro. Therefore, you need to check if there is Malware in your system or not. In order to check whether there is Malware in your system or not you just need to follow the steps below-
- Open any browser and type malwarebytes.org.
- After the website opens click on download.
- Save the dmg file and install it.
- Then open it and click on scan.
- Anti-malware will scan and tell you if there is any malware or not.
I have tried to list the maximum of the solutions that you can try to boost the speed of your MacBook Pro. I hope that the solutions listed above help you to solve the MacBook Pro running slow issue. Tell us in the comment section below which of the above solutions helped you in resolving the issue.